Monday, May 21, 2012

So much more than 13.1 miles

This past weekend, more than 23,000 people came together in Fargo, ND to participate in the 2012 Fargo Rocks Marathon. 

I've come to realize that runners are a very special kind of breed.  Some run for loved ones. Some for personal challenges. Others because of hardships or long lost dreams.  Many run to redeem that youthful spirit that remains nestled in each of us. For all these reasons and so many more, is why I challenged myself to run 13.1 miles.

I never intended on running a 1/2 marathon until a few short months ago.  If I was going to do it, my choice would be the Fargo Marathon.  It was a no-brainer!  I grew up near Fargo and attended college in Fargo/Moorhead.  Everyone says it's fast, flat, fun and friendly.  What's better than strolling down memory lane for 13.1 miles.

I trained for 10 weeks.  Sometimes wondering what I was doing.  I powered through my doubts, leaned on family and friends and mentally prepared for the race.  I was ready physically and mentally...or at least I thought.

I was not prepared for the emotions I felt when lining up at the start of the race.  As I listened to the Star Spangled Banner and O Canada, my emotions got the best of me.  I was cold, nervous, scared,  and out of my comfort zone when the tears began running down my face.  What if I get sick, what if I can't finish, what if...
Standing next to me was a Dad who was running with his daughter.  He caught my eye, gave me a wink, and said "just remember to have fun".  I pulled it together just as the race began.


It took me a mile or two to settle in and get comfortable but overall miles 1-5 were easy.  Dave and Carson joined me for miles 5-8.5, and then it was up to me to finish strong. 



Fargo Rocks!  The volunteers, the bands, the spectators, and the runners made my first half marathon experience something I will never forget!  Nothing may ever compare to this experience, which is why, to me, this was so much more than 13.1 miles.



PS...I managed to slap on some lipstick before crossing the finish line!
M.A.C. Diva




No comments:

Post a Comment