Sunday, June 1, 2014

Raise Your Glass


I don't blog as often as most "true" bloggers.  Let's face it, no one wants to read about my crazy life in the suburbs, carpool conversations between 13 year old boys, or why my clothes don't fit the same as they did just a few years ago! Wait...I might be on to something but that is for another day.  

My point is, when I do blog it's about something in my life that has meaning to me or something in my life of importance. That being said, this particular post was much more difficult and took much longer to write than I had anticipated.  I think it’s far easier for me to share random experiences and stories about myself, but it's much harder to capture a story or experience about someone else.

Let's start a few weeks back, when my family was invited as guests of Thrivent Financial to spend the weekend in Chicago celebrating my sister, Melanie Meyer’s, induction into Thrivent Financial's Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame is one of Thrivent's highest honors. In order to be inducted you must have given at least 20 years of service, a commitment to helping others and a passion for providing outstanding customer service. Among Thrivent Financial’s nearly 2,300 financial representatives—only 183 are in the Hall of Fame.  Of those 183 Hall of Fame members, Melanie is 1of only 5 women within the group.


For those of you who have not met Melanie, let me try to paint you a picture of her.

Melanie has always been very dedicated in every endeavor she pursues. From her first post college job as a struggling interior designer in the affluent city of San Diego to the odds and end jobs (fitness instructor, paper route, etc) that helped to pay her bills prior to her career at Lutheran Brotherhood/Thrivent Financial.
She spent many evening hours and hundreds of miles in her car during her first years as a financial advisor. After more than 20 years in the industry, Melanie knows the true meaning of hard work and has a gift for doing anything she puts her mind to, and doing it extremely well.
How many people (women specifically) do you know that can go an entire YEAR without buying anything that was not a necessity???  If you ask me that is simply crazy, but guess what, she did it and no one ever doubted that she wouldn't! 

One of the secrets to Melanie Meyer's success is her self-professed stubbornness.  I remember a time when she was scheduled to fly from Los Angeles to Minneapolis for a corporate-sponsored conference, she took the shuttle to LAX – almost. On the way to the airport, the shuttle broke down on a busy freeway. Melanie knew that if she waited for another shuttle, she'd miss her flight. So she grabbed her suitcase, hopped off the bus, stuck out her thumb and hitched a ride the rest of the way!

There's no doubt that Melanie is determined, motivated – even a little "stubborn" at times – but she's also compassionate. She is a leader who shares her time, her talent and her words of wisdom as a mentor to others in the field. Melanie is a friend and advisor to all her clients. She is always eager to impart the wisdom she’s learned through many years of working in the business.

Melanie also believes in giving back to our community.  Both she and her husband Jeff, were recognized as 2012 Philanthropists of the Year in Los Angeles.
She won’t be confined by boundaries. She won’t be stopped by the word no or limited by adversity or fear.  She continues to meet the needs of others and gives back "just because".  When Melanie believes in something, she says it, she means it and she lives it!

Melanie's not all work and no fun...she spends many of her weekend nights rocking the stage with her band, BlueSky. Simply put, she is a rockstar and is living the dream!

During our trip to Chicago, I was reminded that there are some really incredible experiences in this life. Some are so fun that your stomach aches from laughing and your face hurts from smiling. Some are so inspiring you just feel like your heart is going to burst.  This weekend was a combination of so many emotional experiences...happiness, fun, inspirational, humbling, and simply amazing!

Melanie...I raise my glass to you!  



1 comment:

  1. So well put Kristin! It is so obvious how proud you are to be her little sister, but let me tell you sweetie that you are no slouch either! I raise my glass to you both!

    ReplyDelete